Its a fundamental truths here in Houston that pedestrians and get no respect. Houston seems to regard the very act of walking as an affront to their way of life here. When you are like myself, carless, you have to be wary of the others, careless. Today I was nearly ran over not one not twice but three times. None of the people that v nearly ran me over even try to slow down.
They seem to regard to the fact that I was in the road as proof that I was lacking in normal human rights. Like the countless animals that I pass then have been folded spindled and mutilated by oncoming traffic, I too was at the mercy the Houston driver. The level of disrespect that Houston pedestrian receive can be summed up this way, when I got the crosswalk the driver of the black Ford F 150 screamed on the window at me to get out of the road. I, and all walkers, have the right of way. And just for the record, even if I was in the wrong, which I wasn’t, you don’t have the right to kill me because I’m in your way.
- Van flees scene after three-car crash in Halifax, two pedestrians hit on sidewalk (metronews.ca)
- High-speed crash kills one in North Houston (click2houston.com)
- Urban activists get creative for pedestrian safety in Bogotá, Columbia (roadtrafficsigns.com)
- Pedestrian Crossing Signs History (myparkingsign.com)
- Houston Astrodome demolition begins (newsfixnow.com)
- Driver killed in early-morning rollover crash on North Loop (khou.com)